Trains at railway station

Transport Day at COP26

Transport Day at the recent COP26 summit saw much discussion around transport’s role in climate change and the action that must be taken to align this sector with the Paris Agreement. In a joint statement entitled ‘It’s time to be clear: Rail and public transport are the quickest way to reach decarbonisation’, the International Association of Public Transport (UITP) and the International Union of Railways (UIC) stated, “Climate change cannot be stopped without decarbonising transport.” The statement also pointed out that rail and public transport must be the backbone of the strategy to reverse rising transport emissions.

The focus of the decarbonisation of transport is on the vehicles themselves. However, the issue must be viewed as a whole. For example, trains contribute 95% of the rail industry’s carbon emissions, but the remaining 5% comes from properties such as depots and railway stations. To completely decarbonise the industry, efforts must be made to reduce the emissions from the buildings used by staff and travellers.

While replacing the UK’s rail fleet with greener options will be a long-term project involving significant investment, reducing the carbon emissions from the industry’s building stock can be a much swifter process. At CODA, we work with the rail industry to provide services and solutions that will reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions for stations and depots almost immediately.

Our Internet of Things (IoT) technologies have been designed to provide granular insights into how buildings and assets operate. By implementing our CODA device, it’s possible to create an accurate picture of how individual assets, such as heating systems, escalators and lifts, are working and highlight the locations and site assets with the most significant energy consumption. By analysing the data provided by our cutting-edge technology, it’s possible to create processes and systems to reduce this usage. Not only will this lower the emissions generated by rail buildings, but it will reduce the financial cost of running these essential locations.

For more information on how CODA is working with the #rail and #bus industry, please contact the team at

If you are looking to save energy, reduce reactive maintenance and better manage your entire estate please contact us.

Get in touch